The Homework

I'm on the verge of ditching the homework for the Thirdlanders, but I can't quite decide.  I know I'm not going to assign homework this week because I feel like everyone's on edge right now.  I keep reading articles about ditching homework.  People talk about their kids going crazy with frustration with the homework.  I don't remember homework being such a big deal at my house.  My kids just did it and we didn't talk about it much.  But this isn't true for a lot of families.  For some, homework is a veritable pain in the neck.

Some people do like their kids to have homework and our school does have a clear homework policy of ten minutes X grade level on weeknights, so I'm probably going to do what Harvey Daniels suggests and invite kids to work at home on reading, writing, or math on a math app.  Or should I still send the math worksheet home for people who don't have computer access?  I only send one a week.  I can't decide.  I'm in a quandary about this.  I don't think I over-assign homework. Friends whose kids I've taught have always told me they actually think my homework is creative and reasonable.  I keep going back and forth on this.  I think we'll just take a break this week and then I'll survey some trusted peeps.  Something's going to happen, one way or the other.  

Comments

LevineLiteracy said…
My thinking, for what it is worth- if thee is REAL work to do, the work is worth it. If it is homework for the sake of homework, let the kids enjoy their time. There will always be work to do. Mark
mm said…
I'm not a big homework fan... just saying... I think homework should be reading. That's enough...
KC said…
This is a tough problem. I'm not really into homework, but in my seventh-grade class, I only have 200 minutes per week; and I don't think we could finish anything if I didn't have kids to reading and annotations and some writing at home. In sixth grade, it's reading and occasionally it's annotations.

Popular Posts