Wednesday, September 09, 2015

The Grimace

For some odd reason, a Thirdlander got on a crying jag yesterday and the kid would not stop.  Come to find out, she got behind on a couple of math problems, and that upset her.  So she cried for about 90 minutes quite audibly.  I got pretty annoyed and talked to her during recess duty about it.  I told her I was having a hard time letting it go.  I mean she really did wreck a perfectly great writing lesson with the incessant sobbing.  After lunch we were both cheered up and the afternoon progressed on an even keel.  During Reader's Workshop, I introduced our vocabulary venture word---grimace.  The Thirdlander cheerfully offered the sentence, "I had a grimace on my face for most of the morning."
I replied, "Yes, and I had a grimace in reaction to your grimace." She thought that was hilarious.  Truth be told, I'm still a bit annoyed about the whole thing, but I know I can get past this. I need to let it go and honor the true words of Thich Nhat Hanh:

"Letting go gives us freedom, and freedom is the only condition for happiness.  If, in our heart, we still cling to anything - anger, anxiety, or possessions - we cannot be free."  

3 comments:

mm said...

If she's freaking out about some math problems, life is going to kick her in the butt.

Anonymous said...

No truer words were written.
jw

Anonymous said...

I just wish Thich would give a few helpful pointers on how to achieve that....it is SO true!