The Kinders


I spent 7 hours straight with the kinders today.  We had a plan to keep all 50 of them together for the day, work with them in small groups, observe them in a variety of settings, and then make their actual class lists this afternoon.  I volunteered to run the station in the gym.  I was pretty proud of myself.  With 6 groups of kids, we ran laps, played around with bouncy balls and ended up our time together racing around like maniacs on little scooters.  I tried to jot down anecdotal observations whenever I could.

At the end of the day, we talked about each kiddo.  Mostly I contributed comments like, "He could really kick the ball far" and "He was super fast on the scooters."  I had a few other stories to share like, "Yeah, he was the kid who took his own tooth out 2 days ago" and "Poor guy got bitten by a dog last week.  Right on his booty."  Most of my observations weren't considered relevant to the making of balanced class lists.  But they were basically all I had.  Now the Kinders are assigned to classes.  They'll have their FIRST real day of school tomorrow.  Good luck, kinders!  Maybe we can play in the gym some other time.

Comments

Anonymous said…
You crack me up! I immediately imagined the comments you would be contributing after spending time with the K's in the gym. That is a cool gym over there. How did the kiddos like the new school? Wish I could have been over there watching! I heard Mr. Hawk is over at your school (cafe helper?) He was at CC for a LONG time. WE loved him.
N
KC said…
Love it! Once again, I wish you could be my kids' teacher.

We're waiting for Shef's teacher assignment for this year. Both of the previous years, he hasn't gotten his first choice; so this year he's "hoping" for his second choice, thinking it might make it so he gets his real first.

Probably not, but we'll see!
Anonymous said…
Fairview's on the front page this morning.
I was hoping for a quote from you.

D/
Anonymous said…
PS: Very cool photo!!

D/
Anonymous said…
Check your email.
D/

Popular Posts