The Box

Awesome K Teacher (AKT) has been bummed out about the k's pretend violence during pretending time. Empty pizza box at our house gave me the idea to go in and set up a pretend pizza shop during free choice time. AKT gave the idea a big thumbs up so I showed up at 2:30 with the box, construction paper, and some little notebooks for order taking. As I set up, I felt a wave of nervousness. AKT asked me if she should make an announcement about the Pizza Shop. "Good God, No," I answered, hoping I could get by with as little commotion as possible. Within minutes pretty much every K (except for the sleeping K in the middle of the floor) was over with me, filling out orders, answering the phone, creating paper pizzas, and making deliveries. There was a wild exuberance in the room that gave me an edgy sensation of fear. After a bit, I pulled over a chair and ordered a large diet coke with extra ice. When AKT sang the cleaning up song, the place was a mess. One K said she could not help clean until she made a "Pizza Shop Is Closed" sign. Despite the disastrous mess, I thought her plan was fairly reasonable. AKT came over while I was under a table gathering up glue stick caps and said, "You have such a calming effect here."
I felt sorry for the AKT when she said that.

Comments

Anonymous said…
There is too much fun going on at the View! Pizza shop definitely takes the cake!
N
Anonymous said…
I think you are an ALC (Awesome Literacy Coach)!
KC said…
Love the pizza idea. Perfect!

Also, what is this photo?
LH said…
When we were in l.a. our hotel was next to the wax museum. You could see this wax tableau from the street. King Kong's little hand with woman inside.
jdoc said…
I used to work at a pizza shop. The worst was answering the phones. I hung up on a lot of people who would then call back angry. I guess that's the proper reaction.

Popular Posts