The Aura

Yesterday I had one of my rare pre-migraine aura at school, in the morning. It's a horrid feeling to have a big splotch of shiny zigzaggy waves right in the center of your vision. It's nauseating and even a bit frightening. After 45 minutes it was gone, but I felt so tired and headachy that I didn't do my optimal teaching for the rest of the day. When I got home after working on stupidsubplans, I had no desire to work on my talk so I just watched Viggo in Return of the King and headed to sleep. So today I was under a lot of pressure to perform. On all cylinders. When another aura appeared around 9:15, I thought I was going insane. I have a migraine every year or 2. How could I be having a 2nd migraine in 2 days, right before the big conference, the one where I'll be speaking on a talk I'm not ready to give yet??? What was going on here? So another horrid day ensued and then I went to fakeclinic and the doctor told me I was having migraines. I get that, but I don't want to have one tomorrow, I told her. There's nothing she can really do about it before hand. After the fact, I can take pills that will make it very difficult to give a talk that anyone would be remotely interested in hearing. She suggested that I may want to avoid WINE tonight. "Give up my ritual?" I asked, but she didn't back down. Obnoxious. (Please send good thoughts my way, Thursday around 1:30). (I'm not kidding).

Comments

KC said…
omg, this is terrible. i will be sending pos vibes your way.
LH said…
Okay, No migraine today. So that much is GOOD! but send the pos. vibes anyway. tomorrow. 1:15.
cb said…
many good thoughts will be sent your way. those things are horrible and scary and should not be happening to you any longer.

cb
Anonymous said…
Sweet Lee Dog-----Sic'em (the headaches or the conf.---whichever needs to be sic'ed first xoxoxoxo
LH said…
Okay, I'll be yakking at 1:45 or so. No migraine yet, but I do feel a little freaked out. That's fairly typical for me.
Miss everybody.
Anonymous said…
Did you get the special vibes (filled with love and light) sent your way?

D/
lee said…
talk went well. I did feel the vibes, you awesome possums! I am using Mitzi's iphone... Omb love it
Anonymous said…
girl, you gotta have meds for these. I used cafergot (ergotamine tartrate and caffeine) back when I got them (up until I hit 40). There's newer stuff like Imtrex (20 years old, actually). The deal with cafergot and imtrex is that you take them the minute that the first symptoms appear.

It wasn't perfect for me: I used the cafergot for several years until it seemed that the pill was increasing the frequency of the headaches. Then I switched to codeine. The point is, that you don't have to accept it. Make fakeclinic write you a script for *something*.

btw: another approach to migrane treatment is beta blockers. I do not recommend it. My first night on proprananol I saw my hr drop below 45 bpm. freaky. I stopped immediately.

All this info is a decade old - get thee to a doctor! There *is* treatment!

love,
Bob
LH said…
Okay, mr. B. The fakeclinic dr. told me that I MUST go see my realdoctor about these. I will I will !
Anonymous said…
It is interesting to see someone else experience what I experienced once around 1995 and again in the last few days. And I am a teacher too and your description was dead on.

I have had them once or twice a year since I was a kid. In 1995 I got one or two a day for over a week. So I sought treatment out of fear it was something bad.

It ended up being described as migraines with only preventative treatment involving paxil, propanolol, amitriptoline, and trazedone. Later, wellbutrin.

All these drugs did was assist in my gaining weight and messing subtly with my train of thought. I quit them - carefully - especially as I still had sporadic aura events with flu-like blahs following and lasting a day or two.

I have learned to spot signs of a coming migraine; if I am unusually up, happy, energetic, I know that's a sign. Or if I am unusually snappy and cranky, that, too, is a sign.

And I have learned that the once a year time frame returns but that occasionally these weeklong clusters occur. Don't panic.

Popular Posts