The Updates

Here's where I'll tell you everything I've done on the vacation:

Saturday, August 2
Yesterday was busy with a UCBerkeley tour.  And a tour of the Frida Kahlo exhibit at SFMOMA.  Ended the day with a marvelous Kronos Quartet concert. A great combo of academics and arts.

Friday, August 1
We've been in transit, so the blogging's been interrupted. But now I'm back on track. On Wednesday we took a vacation from our vacation. In the morning we dawdled and tarried. Then we saw Stepbrothers, the movie, in the afternoon. We did some school shopping for Teendaughter. Back at home we enjoyed our last supper with kin and spent the evening dawdling more and packing. Thursday was an early wake up, a sad goodbye, and a flight down to SF. We drove directly from the airport to the Mission District to eat burritos at La Cumbre. Then over the Bay Bridge to Berkeley to the Butler King residence. Yay. We walked on a windy path down near the marina and I saw a Western Grebe. Actually, everyone else saw it too, but I think it meant more to me than to the others. We had a great dinner out at a Thai restaurant and then returned to BKResidence for chatting with wine. We are now moving into some UCBerkeley tour activity. Go Bears!

Tuesday, July 29
We started out the morning with a tour of the Wing Luke Museum. It's the Asian American museum that has recently moved into a new building. The exhibits and the space were both v. cool. I bought some books in their gift shop. 16 Years in 16 Seconds will eventually be part of a Breaking Barriers at the Olympics textset. If you know of other books/articles for this project, please let me know asap. Noodles for lunch and then I parted ways with my family to roam around Elliott Bay Bookstore. After buying a new book by Monica Ferrell I took the bus for free down 1st St. and met the fam at Pike's Place Market. Checked out the flowers and tasted some food samples. Had a latte while taking in the view of the boats in the bay. Headed over to the outdoor sculpture garden and took some photos. I especially liked the gargantuan traffic cones. I think they were made by C. Oldenberg. Then we met Eve and Eli and toured the Theo Chocolate Factory. If you are a chocolate connosieur, you should get some of their chocolate asap. At the end of the day, adults left the youth at home playing poker and had a marvelous meal at Pair.

Monday, July 28
We went to Carkeek Park and took a hike next to a creek where salmon swim upstream. We didn't see any salmon, but that's neither here nor there. We checked out some views of the sound and then headed to Archie McPhee's a store where one can buy funny things. I bought a lobster and a large red beetle and a Mr. Bacon et un monsieur Tofu. We spent enough money to get a free devil duck. In late afternoon, the cousins met at the zoo and the adults went to a pub next to Green Lake and had a happy hour chat. Home again for some napping and dinner. Then we watched the best movie ever made, Station Agent. I did not want it to end. We're thinking about getting Netflix when we return home.

Sunday, July 27
We took the ferry to Bainbridge Island. Then we took a great hike through the Bloedel Reserve. The Bloedels lived here and made it the most beautiful gardens in the world, "as evidenced by plants." The hike was stunning. And amusing because Brother Bill hurt his ankle recently and had to be pushed around in a wheelchair. That gave us many opportunities to make jokes at his expense. Last night we had a tasty delicious dinner at Cafe Lago.

Saturday, July 26
We started the day with a trip to the Burke Museum on campus. We saw a photography exhibit about polar bears. Very cool. Then we ate some Pho. The youth went off to a block party event, while the adults went to the Seattle Art Museum, where I took some terrific photos of cars suspended above ground. I also learned more about who influenced the impressionists. After dinner at home, we went to a play called Street Car Named Desire, that you may have heard of. After the standing ovation, I started crying and felt much anxiety about possibly not being able to stop. But after a few moments of embarrassment, I did stop and went home for late night chatting with Eve. A perfect first day.

Comments

Anonymous said…
okay. good. now I know and I like to be in the know.
jw
Anonymous said…
Me too!
N
LH said…
I knew you would like to know what I'm doing at all times. Thus, this public service.
Anonymous said…
Yes, keep filling us in.
D/
Anonymous said…
I'm very jealous.....i would love to be on your trip!!

KV :)
Anonymous said…
It sounds like you're having a lovely time! Thanks for the very descriptive update. Will we get a postcard from Quinn? I'm looking forward to your pictures!
Anonymous said…
fond of grebes myself, friend.
ok- i shall rss subscribe to your bloggiepoo as soon as i do.
-m
LH said…
I'm going to try to figure the rss thing out, ms.

Popular Posts