The Swifts

The school where I have employment has a chimney stack. In fall, chimney swifts roost there. At the planning commission meeting last night, neighbors spoke in support of these swifts. They want the school builders to keep the chimney stack when oldschool is demolished. Chimney stack might need structural support, so the architect said she could not make promises, but that she would investigate possibilities. Part of me thinks this is a little bit dumb, but the other kinder, eco-part of me was moved by the passionate SAVE THE SWIFTS speeches made by the neighbors. One gal suggested that teachers could make the swifts the source of the entire curriculum. She probably forgot that the swifts only show up in the evenings, when the peeps are home eating dinner. But if we put in a SWIFT CAM, (as suggested) that might not be an issue.

Comments

KC said…
omg on swift cam.

i like this photo!
LH said…
Hey doll, I know! Swift CAM! woohoo!

I like this photo too, but here's theproblem. When I crop my fotos with ifoto, they look way better, but then they're not "big" enough to put on jpg, my new obsession. So if anyone can help with that (dorothy?)

please do.

Today I went to a whole day gig at school and it put me in a pretty bad mood, so then I went to see Wanted with #1. There's one scene in that flick that's definitely worth the price of admission.
Julie Anna said…
We had chimney swifts for years and they were a PITA because, yes, they show up in the evening just as we are trying to relax. They make a tremendous amount of noise and leave behind empty nests, a lot of bird poop, and occasionally dead babies. Unfortunately for the swifts, we opted to get a chimney topper which prevents access for swifts, but I don't see a problem for a free-standing, house-less chimney. The swift-cam could be cool, but everyone should be prepared for some unsanitary-looking situations. They are quite fun to watch circling around in the sky, though. If I were to install a swift-cam, it might be near the top of the chimney to see them sweeping around doing their air acrobatics.

Popular Posts