The Violins


This just in, from today's HTimes: In the coming school year, the little first grader peeps at schoolsite will learn how to play violins. It's a new project that's based on a Michigan violin program and university coordinators are "hoping it will help reading and language skills." I'm on the fence about this idea. First, it seems odd to give little kids violins for only one year. Second, I wish there could be more talk about loving and learning music, and less about hopes for academic skill building. Despite my misgivings, I'm tepidly and cheerily curious about the plan. I think the littles might like playing the violins.

We shall see, said the blind man, as he picked up his hammer and saw.

Comments

Julie Anna said…
I like the 5th grade strings program quite a lot since the kids can continue with their instruments from that point on in school. I'm with you on the questionable nature of one year with an instrument and then no instrument after that. What to do if the kid's whole world is altered by the violin and kid can't afford one after grade 1?
LH said…
Hey J, I think it would be great if they just stayed with one class and kept teaching them violin thru the sixth grade.
Anonymous said…
i was forced to play the violin - suzuki method - from ages 3-11. By the end i really hated it, but now i wish i hadn't quit. it's nice to know how to make music.

how about a more integrative music class? a little recorder, a little violin, some percussive instruments, some dancing??
LH said…
I took guitar lessons for about 3 weeks. I too wish I could play an instrument. I think the littles will get the other stuff. The music program at schoolsite is imho quite excellent. So i'm not sure the violin deal is so necessary, but maybe it'll be good.
I listened to a great Jim Gee talk on a podcast today, while I strolled the neighborhood. Then I got home and asked him to be my friend on facebook. He hasn't written back yet.

Popular Posts