The Pages

Last night Teen Daughter brought me along to her volunteer gig at Pages to Prisoners. It's my kind of volunteering. I don't interact with anyone at all. I read letters from prisoners requesting books. I walk around collecting any books that look remotely similar to the request. I write a letter to the prisoner telling him about the books I've chosen, adding a few cheery sentiments at the endbit. Then I pack the books up for mailing and start again. The only frustrating thing about the gig is that the book selection is not that great. There's a bookstore right next to the Pages to Prisoners project so it was tempting to just go next door and buy books for the incarcerated readers. But Teen Daughter said that we should just stick with the program. We'll probably do it again soon. If you have any books you don't need, consider donating to Pages to Prisoners. It will make my job a lot easier.
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Anonymous said…
That's great you and Ros are volunteering with that program. Now that's something to work for unlike the boy who is working at convincing our city council to say the Pledge of Allegiance before their meetings.
Where can we drop off books?
jw
Anonymous said…
http://www.ala.org/ala/alsc/awardsscholarships/literaryawds/literaryrelated.htm
Monday!
LH said…
hey jw, i think they have certain criteria for the books so i
will ask about that next time i head over there.

i wonder if they'll announce it during the school day. gonna have to make a big deal about that with sixers and cincos.
Undomestic said…
My brother is really involved with this...at least he used to be when he helped run some anarchy place in Indy...Paper Matches. I guess it has shut down though. Go Roz!
LH said…
I checked on book donations.
They said they want the donations to come during volunteer hours, so if you ever have anything you want to donate, just give em to us and we'll bring them there.

i donated 5 books this week and the facilitator thought they were v. good. they're supposed to be newish.

3 guys wanted Grisham this week and we had none. One got a scott turow. guess he's close?

Popular Posts