The Applications


This week is the week I work on applications for kids to get into the accelerated program at middle school. You would not believe how many emails I've gotten this week. You just wouldn't. It's a pain in the butt because the rules are stricter now and not too many kids get in. District Deciders claim that the program was too watered down when more kids were allowed to take challenging classes, but I know that's not true. Since they tightened up the program, only allowing a measly amount of kids in to the fast track, the middle school is now offering "accelerated" foreign language classes. I think District Deciders think this lame move will calm down all those parents whose kids aren't allowed to take harder classes even though they really want to. How dumb. I have to approve everyone's eligibility for accelerated foreign language classes because I'm their language arts teacher. I'm signing with an OK for everyone. Someone at the compound asked me what criteria I'm using to make my decision. I said, tartly, "Their desire to take an accelerated class is the only criteria I need." The whole thing's annoying.

Comments

KC said…
this is pretty crazy stuff. i hate it when they try to keep kids out.
Undomestic said…
Good for you!!!!!!
Anonymous said…
I would have said MYOB but that's how I get myself into trouble. You are so much smoother than I am.
jw
Julie Anna said…
I agree..if a kid wants to try the accelerated classes, let them try the damned accelerated classes! This kind of thing makes me fume. It's like telling them, "No, sorry, only SOME kids can learn the stuff they want to learn." A kid could be inspired to do better than ever just by being in a class in which the kids really want to learn and want to work hard.
Anonymous said…
Your photos are fantastic!
LH said…
24 applications for the accelerated program were written by me this week. that's why i'm so far behind on everything else. time consuming. and annoying.

thanks anon for the compliment on the photos. i took a walk yesterday afternoon and got some great fotos of graffiti around town. we have some good artists wandering around marking up our habitat. I want to be a graffiti artist too.

Popular Posts