The Midterms

Many parents don't understand the whole concept of the midterm. This week the midterms went home and I got quite a few notes back that read, "Call me immediately if he/she has missing work in the future." I need to get these folk into the huddle and explain to them that the midterm IS the way I contact them about missing work. One sixer's parent was upset with me that I hadn't called her about two missing assignments. I told the sixer to come to my classroom every Friday afternoon from now on so that she can call her mom and let her know if she has missing work or not. She didn't look thrilled, but what am I supposed to do about it? Another mom was screaming at me on the phone that she didn't want to be angry with me, but she wanted to be "transparent." She kept repeating that phrase. I thanked her and added that I wanted to be transparent as well, and I told her, "I've been teaching for over twenty years and I have every confidence that I know what I'm doing." Not sure I have EVERY confidence, but it seemed important to communicate that at the time. This hasn't been the greatest day. After the slew of notes, I ended up getting a paper cut in third period. I kept calling kids over to look at it, but they didn't think it looked so bad.

Comments

KC said…
OMG! This so happens to me! Last week, when i posted my grades to the internet so parents could get a read on things before I sent the official midterms home today; I got an email that said, "In the future, I'd like a heads up if he's missing things." Ok. Like an early grade report for instance?? Sheesh.

Since, I like to be transparent, I'll let you know how many emails I get tomorrow. Since there are a 130 sophs, there tend to be a lot of emails, and it blows.
Undomestic said…
And usually, the kids who are missing so much work, don't actually have the support at home to make sure they do the work anyhow. So a wasted phone call.

Although, lh, I'm sure if Cameron missed any assignments, you'd let me know right away..right?
LH said…
Cari, If cameron missed assignments, I would just give him full credit anyway, because he's provided quite a bit of mirth through your blog over the years. He deserves some slack.
Kc...hope the emails weren't too bad. I had a hideous week, which is par for the course for midterm week. Everyone needs to shout a bit. (I did get 2 nice notes thanking me for the creative/challenging assignments so let's focus on the positive???
Maybe we can just relax for awhile til report card time.
KC said…
there were only like five, so that was nice. and they were the usual suspects. just fyi.
LH said…
5 is not too bad. yay.
let's stop working so hard, tho,
okay?

Popular Posts