What's Next?


Our air conditioning broke today. We hope to get a new one installed soon because it's way hot here. It took me awhile to realize it was broken. For hours, I kept running around to each vent trying to determine if the air was cool or not. It wasn't.
#1 son had a friend over. I asked both boys continuously if they were getting hot. They said no, but I was sweating. I get somewhat nervous when friends come over because I want them to have fun. So every time I hear one kid saying, "What do you want to do now," I have to work hard not to run into the room and start up a mancala tournament or some such nonsense. After hours of slow going interactions, we headed to one of our nation's premier public pools. During adult swim, I floated along while hundreds of kids shot daggers at me from poolside. As I floated, I watched happily as busloads of campers left the pool area to board their buses to return to their day camps. A mom drifted by and said, "Isn't it sad that those kids are in camp? I bet they've been awake since 6 am and my kids get to sleep in and just hang around and do what they want."
I mumbled, "Yes, summer's supposed to be like that" and picked up the pace of an American crawl. I don't like to lie, but it seemed inappropriate to say to a total stranger, "My kids will be in camp starting Monday. Yay!"
After the pool, we headed over to the orthodontist to find out that Teen Daughter has 2 months more of braces. Then we went to the store to buy Popsicles. When husbandman came home, I was reading a magazine on the couch. He said, "Why are the kids watching Dr. Phil?" I had no good answer so I just kept on reading and Husbandman picked up the newspaper. After Dr. Phil ended, # 1 son plopped down in a chair nearby and asked, "Well, fellow adventurers, what are we going to do next?" His comment sent chills through my spine, the first I'd had all day. Posted by Hello

Comments

Anonymous said…
Love this entry, esp. Dr. Phil. :)

What's the photo of??
LH said…
This is a bathtub aquarium in the bathroom of my favorite coffee shop here. It's a good distraction. The fish seem happy.
Julie Anna said…
Yes, at least the new owner cleaned it up. For twenty years it was a murky black pit and the fish did not seem happy at all. I had a desire to rescue them every time I went to pee. Did you notice they now provide SAME DAY SERVICE? Yes, you can get your bagel and coffee on the same day you order it. Sometimes it takes another day to pay and get change, but still, it's an improvement over years past. I jest (sort of)...I love the place. But really, some of us don't have that kind of time everyday and must rush to the other good downtown coffee shop where the staff seems a bit more motivated and the fish are in an old tv instead of an old bathtub.
LH said…
The service has improved considerably, you are right, j.
One time I went in and sat down and started reading. I read for 2 hours and then packed up my stuff and left. No one ever came by. Laid back is nice, but let's get real.

Popular Posts