Creativity Thursday

I'm bringing back Creativity Thursday.

Today I looked at some images of pottery from the Mound Builder people.  The pottery is functional, but also creative, containing carved images of birds and people.  Tomorrow we'll learn about the Mound Builders in Indiana and try our hand at some play dough pottery in honor of the Mound Builders.

I also read more about the poem In Flanders Fields. It was written by a Canadian doctor who tended to some wounded soldiers in World War One.  The land where the battles took place was decimated, but poppies continued to grow there so he wrote a poem about that.  People seemed to like the poem and now 100 years later, we're still reciting it across the land.  People wear poppies on Memorial Day.  And sometimes on Veterans Day.  My mom used to recite this poem.  She knew a lot of poems by heart.  I don't know any poems by heart, but I like to read poems and that's good too.

Comments

mm said…
I also don't know any poems by heart, but I do love poetry.
cb said…
Your post has got me thinking about all the great Midwestern potters and poetry and poppies and your mom. What a good way to wind down a Thursday. xo
KC said…
I like to read poetry, and I know only a little by heart. The project with the mound builders sounds really good too.
Julie said…
Oddly enough I mentioned the Mounds indians just this past weekend. Very fascinating. Can I audit your class to refresh my memory on the subject? I, too, love to read poetry including the Flanders Field poem. I think everyone should read some poetry.
LH said…
I'd really like to drive down to those Mounds.
And perhaps dig up some artifacts when no one is looking.

Popular Posts