The Proofreading

Summer Wheat:  Check out her stunning art here. http://www.summerwheat.com
While I was in Georgia, I had a task and that task was to proofread all the pages of the book.  Husbandman proofed as well.  At first the proofreading was tough.  I had anxiety about every line, knowing that the time for content changes was over and worrying that the book sounded only so so. I actually became dispirited and glum. Then I remembered someone said that you should proofread while reading aloud.  I think it was the goddess Anne Lamott, but I'm not sure.

As I read the book aloud, a chapter each day, I realized the book was AOK--- interesting and unique, for the most part.  Husbandman agrees that it's a good read. Yay.

On Friday, Husbandman and I had a phone chat.  We went through every page of the book together, sharing typos we found.  These were marked in bright ink and then I sent the proofs off to Heinemann.  I got an email yesterday that the proofs were received.  Now I'm wondering what the next step will be.

We shall see said the Blind Man, as he picked up his hammer and saw.

The point is, it's a good idea to proofread your pages while reading them aloud.  Also, it's good to have a trusted partner read your proofs as well.

Comments

Unknown said…
You two make a great team in all ways. I remember Donald Graves saying that you should find a friend or a dog and read your writing piece aloud.
jw
KC said…
I also proofread while reading aloud! Connection! I can't wait to read the book.
mm said…
Ditto what KC said on both accounts!

Popular Posts