The Lack


Sometimes when I meet new people I get nervous.  And because of this alleged nervousness I don't listen very well.  I get all worked up about how I can't think of anything to say.  Come to find out, when I first meet people I can not think of one thing to say to them.  It's weird since I'm a talkative person.  But that's how it is.  Can't explain it and not even going to try.

Today I got to hang out with some friends of some friends.  I've met these Fs of Fs many times so I finally felt ready to step up to the plate in the conversation department. It's been years after all.  Any way, turns out I had a ton of misconceptions about these peeps.  I kept saying stuff like, "Now what kind of law do you practice?" to someone who's in the medical profession.  I got another gal's kids totally mixed up.  Pointing to one sweet kid, I said, "So your son is in high school now?"  Turns out that kid isn't even her son.  I've got to shape up and pay attention.  I know I can do better. I'm v. embarrassed about my lack of savoire faire.

Comments

Julie Anna said…
I so share your pain in my own life. It takes me several times of meeting someone to remember their name because I'm nervous and keep missing it. This is very embarrassing to me.
Anonymous said…
I'm terrible with names. That's why, when I taught 1st grade I had the peeps wear crowns with their names on them. That way, I could look them right in the eyes, and see their names at the same time. (I told them the crowns were because they were the kings and queens of the school.) I tried to get my University students to wear them, but no luck, except for one time, when the entire class showed u wearing BurgerKing crowns.
Anonymous said…
Oops: "showed up"
Anonymous said…
I'm basically nervous that no one will like me or find me boring. Ive felt this way as long as I can remember.
Jw
LH said…
jw...That's hilarious, since everyone always likes you and everyone on the planet interrupts me when I'm talking to you because THEY want to talk to you!

Crowns with names. I think that would be cool if we all wore those.

J. sometimes I try really hard to listen to the name and I get so intent on listening for it, that I forget it the second after I hear it. WEIRD!

Popular Posts