The Breaks


Spring break is here and those around me seem to be doing interesting things.
Teendaughter is in Philadelphia at a conference for Journalists and the Constitution. She kindly left her schedule out on the counter so between doing laundry and reading my book, I check it out every hour or so and think about her attending sessions like this one:

"Women and the Law; Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Sherrilyn Ifill, Elena Kagan & Gene Pratter will participate on a panel discussing the successes, continued challenges and emerging issues, faced by women in the legal profession...The program will be moderated by ABC News correspondent, Lynn Sherr."

And I've gotten quite a few emails from Husbandman in Israel that go somewhere along these lines:

Jerusalem. Holy shit, that was fun. Originally, we had plans to start with the Old City and then see some spots in modern Jerusalem but in the end, we decided to spend the whole day in the Old City. We started in the Armenian quarter (where I bought a cool hand painted ceramic tile--i.e. a hot plate), then headed to the Jewish quarter and the Wailing Wall. Then we spent a lot of time in the Muslim quarter. ... Then we finished things up in the Christian quarter--saw that church holding the Holy Sepulchre. It was at that point that we had to decide whether or not we were heading out of the Old City and G insisted that instead we just redo our whole walk which turned out to be kind of nice--especially standing above the Wailing Wall and Al Aksa Mosque at sundown. Out of one ear, we heard Yeshiva students singing Hebrew songs, out of the other came Muslim prayers. Then after a few minutes, bells started to chime from the churches. Anyway, the day was really a blast.

Even #1 son seems to be taking charge of his day and left for a pal's house with his Xbox in one hand and his lacrosse stick in the other.

We're all having our own experiences and I guess there's not much point comparing the various spring breaks, but I'm starting to rethink my original plan, which was to spend as much time as possible being bored out of my gourd. I may need to snaz this vacay up a bit. The way it's looking, that hot plate might be the high point of my week if I don't get my act together.

Comments

Anonymous said…
You're always welcome to come over for a scotch or a gin or beer or wine or....
Or grab your camera and we can do some B-town shooting while some of our population is out of town.
D/
LH said…
yes to all of the above.
i'll call you today. thanks!
Julie Anna said…
I, too, am bored out of my gourd. Not only am I not going anywhere, I'm working this week. Son is in MI snowboarding. Call and come over for wine if you've a mind to. I may have to repose on the back deck with glass in hand one afternoon this week if it gets into the 50's.

Popular Posts