The Hamster

One baby hamster left and I think it has a home. A sixth grader wanted one and brought his grandfather in to prove adult permission. He wanted to take the hamster home in his hand. I offered a piece of crap cage I bought at corporate pet store that I really should have returned for a refund. Granddad was pleased and assured me he could "fix this up just fine." Sixth grader told me he had a rat for five years and he used to ride his bike with the rat on his shoulder, but the rat kept crawling down his leg and one day the inevitable happened and it fell off his leg and was crushed by the rear wheel of sixth grader's bike.
The kid came back yesterday and wanted another hamster, but I wouldn't turn over another one. Kindergarten teacher has dibs on the last one.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I am relieved to know that the hamsters have good homes, and you're finished with this hamster fiasco. How are the original two? Doing well?
LH said…
the original 2, named Hope and Hannah, seem to be doing fine. They didn't seem upset about the loss of their offspring. But it's hard to tell.
Undomestic said…
The rat loving 6th grader would like Stargirl, don't ya think?
LH said…
hi c, did you read the sequel? does she still have the rat?

Popular Posts