The Rink

#1 Son just left for the ice rink, a new Saturday night ritual. Last week, Husbandman and I were driving by the rink when we decided to stop in to watch #1 skate. We found him surrounded by a group of friends. He was friendly enough, but didn't talk much. We left after a short chat. The next morning, #1 laid down a few groundrules about the rink. The long and the short of his message to us was this: We're basically not to enter the rink area when he is there with friends. He found our visit "confusing" and "unnecessary." Also, somewhat "annoying."

Comments

Anonymous said…
I believe the word he was looking for is "embarassing."
Anonymous said…
Boundaries. He wants to set boundaries. And who's to blame him?
jw
Teacher said…
The boy has a point. He has boundaries. Just like you do.

I bet it feels strange and even sad when a child you enjoy and love, looks at you and says, "back off! I need some space to grow." It is the opposite of what he has been saying for the first half of his life.

Are you ready for the conference?
Undomestic said…
This cracked me up!
LH said…
not quite ready for the conference because instead of working on my talk tonight, i just read thru the ncte catalog and drank some wine.

but tomorrow...it's all coming together.

this teen parenting isn't exactly my forte, but i'm hanging in there. "I do what I want!" is what I tell them when they try to rein me in!

Popular Posts