The SEL


We have a Social Emotional Learning (SEL) curriculum in our district. Every week, I pull out a big card with a photo on it and then I read a text on the back.  At first I rejected this whole deal. Scripted Curriculum?  I think not. 

At first, I only used the cards sporadically, but come to find out, the 3rdLanders are interested in the scenarios and like talking about stuff like empathy, friendship, and the complexities of emotions. Now I read a card a week during afternoon meetings.  The end of the day is never pleasant because we all want to get the heck out of there, but we end up having some good chats with the SEL cards.

Last week's card focused on Positive Self Talk (PST), a favorite strategy of mine. Whenever life gets overwhelming, and I feel like a parasitic gremlin is pinching my stomach lining, I take a breath.  Then I deliver a rational, caring inner monologue to get my head back in the game.  I highly endorsed PST to the 3rdLanders.  I even wrote on the board: "Use positive self talk" as something we should talk more about. 

Later that week, we got our chance.  As you know, moving kids quietly through hallways is one of my least favorite parts of the teaching gig.  On Thursday morning, the 3rdLanders got ready for Gym by forming a boisterous non-line at the classroom door. I rang our pleasantly sonorous chimes with little effect.

At last I got their attention after it dawned on them that they weren't going anywhere. I suggested that we all take a couple of deep breaths and use PST to figure out what we needed in this moment.  "Maybe you'll tell yourself something like, 'This is my Gym time and I love Gym. I'm going to stop shouting and jumping and grabbing people's bodies so I can get to Gym and have fun." I could see from their faces and their bodies that they were engaged in some serious PST.  Off we went.  

In short, our SEL curriculum helped us all out this week.  The right wingers hate SEL, but as usual, they are wrong

 

Comments

cb said…
I enjoyed learning about SEL and PST. A valuable combination. Why do the rightwingers hate things with human value? It's a puzzle.

Popular Posts