The Caterpillars


 We have finished 3 weeks in 3rdLand.  I'm still feeling more tired than I think is appropriate, but maybe my energy will return in time.

On the good side, I have rescued 2 monarch caterpillars and Nancer and I are raising them. As citizen scientists, we are committed to teaching our students how to be good stewards of the earth.  The 3rdLanders voted to name our caterpillar BOB.  I was against this, but ... democracy.  There's one 3rdLander who has bug phobia so when he first saw Bob's habitat, he curled up in a fetal position on the floor and expressed his fears with plaintive cries.  We talked it out and he seems fine now.  Keeps his distance.

We also continue living with a haiku spirit, noticing and caring about nature.  This week we cut construction paper frames and went out to the garden to zoom in on whatever captured our visions. We did this with our first grade buddies.  First graders are adorable and I am fascinated by them.  But I also love teaching 3rdLanders because you can tell them to go do a thing with their buddy and they go off and do it.

Foto Credit: Nancer

I can't take credit for the paper frame idea.  We read about it in a picture book about Sister Corita Kent, who was called the "Pop Art Nun."  Cool gal. Believed creativity is our life path. 

On an unrelated note, I learned today about mammals that lived at the same time as the dinosaurs. There were some small ratty types doing just fine during the Jurassic Period.  



Comments

Anonymous said…
I LOVE the frame idea! 😍

Sarah

Popular Posts