The Spirit

 Alittleleeway here, reporting again from Montreal.  Check out these two historic buildings which are the focus of today's blog post.




In the foreground, you see the Mary, Queen of the World, Cathedral.  For some reason, it has been designated as a minor basilica, though to my mind, there's nothing minor about the place. In the background, you see The Queen Elizabeth Hotel.  

In the mortuary chapel of the church, you will see the horizontal bronze statue of Ignace Bourget, Bishop of Montreal in the mid 1800's.  (This brother had his hand in everything).   There's a live gentleman in this chapel eager to answer questions. I wasn't in the mood for conversation, so I just wandered through the church at my leisure, snapping photos. Case in Point:


But what about the Queen Elizabeth Hotel? In 1969, John and Yoko held their second bed-in for peace right here!  Along with friends, they recorded the classic anti-war anthem, Give Peace a Chance, while still in their jammies.  I went to this shrine searching for a plaque of remembrance, but the doorman told me the plaque had been removed. As you probably know, I love a plaque.  The doorman could see my disappointment and quickly directed me to check out a photo near the elevators with information about the suite, which you can now see here:





I was disappointed with the hotel's desecration of this universal Site of Conscience, where peace loving people fought to end the Vietnam War. The "renovated" Bed In Suite (1742) can only be visited by hotel guests, for 3500$ per night.  

Queen Elizabeth Hotel needs to buy a clue from the Cathedral across the street.  Open the doors to Suite 1742 and let us all soak up the lingering spirits of Sts. John & Yoko. 

Montreal should install a skyway from the Queen of the World Cathedral to the 17th floor of the Queen Elizabeth. STAT.  Suite 1742 belongs to the Peace Loving Citizens of Montreal and the world.  

Give Peace a Chance, why don't you? Also don't forget:  War is over, if you want it.


Comments

cb said…
This is a brilliant post. Merci!

I share your disappointment as well as your enthusiasm for making the site public
KC said…
I would really like to be in Montreal with you right now.
Janet said…
All we are saying....

Popular Posts