The City of Saints


 This is alittleleeway, reporting to you from Montreal.  While Husbandman joined his pals at a Math Conference down the way, I headed over to Saint Joseph's Oratory of Mont-Royal. There are 300 steps up to this massive landmark, which pilgrims climb on their knees, but there was construction in the works so I had to take a free shuttle bus up the hill to visit this crazy good basilica.  

Saint Brother Andre, AKA the Miracle Man of Montreal, got the ball rolling with the Oratoire back in 1924.  The crutches and canes pictured above came from people who were healed by Brother Andre, channeling the spirit of St. Joseph (Jesus' earthling father).  The basilica is massive with crypts and gardens and views and murals and fountains and votive shrines.  Ambling about hither thither and yon, I passed a kneeler in front of a glass pane. A plaque read, "The Heart of Brother Andre."  I figured there was some artwork representing BA's loving kindness displayed within, but no. Floating in a reliquary was an actual human heart belonging to Brother Andre at one time. The rest of BA is down in the crypt.  

Fun Fact:  The heart was stolen in 1973, but returned in 1974. 

Stay tuned for more info on our magical Montreal tour. We'll be here all week. 

Comments

cb said…
Beautiful eglise!

I wonder, though, how did they know if the returned heart was Brother Andre's?
KC said…
I enjoyed this very very much.

When I die, I'd also like my heart preserved in a reliquary. Thanks for attending to this wish.

Popular Posts