The Star


    


      Today I waited patiently in a doctor’s waiting room.  Playing loudly on the television was an old classic, Bachelor Uncle, starring John Forsythe. 157 episodes of Bachelor Uncle were aired over 5 seasons. The show was cancelled in 1961 and was not part of my after school tv viewing (Bewitched, Gilligan’s Island, I Dream of Genie, Hogan’s Heroes).

      The gender and racist stereotyping in Bachelor Uncle made it difficult to enjoy.  I thought about asking the reception people to turn the channel to a home improvement show, but if you know me, you know that’s not how I roll.  I can tolerate a high level of annoyance.  (Thus my career choice). 

    While the show did not age well, I enjoyed watching a young John Forsythe, who stole my heart during his 9 years on the classic prime time soap opera, Dynasty.  He was the only actor to appear in all 220 episodes. I loved John Forsythe’s suave demeanor, his pompadour hairstyle and his warm, distinctive voice, which you may remember from Charlie’s Angels. 

     Fun fact:  John Forsythe was very involved in thoroughbred racing.  

     Fact of Sadness:  John Forsythe died at age 92 from pneumonia. If you’re near Santa Barbara, California, you can visit John’s grave at Ballard Cemetery. Please bring a small stone.  John Forsythe was Jewish. 

Comments

cb said…
I developed a crush on John Forsythe after I saw the old film, "The Trouble with Harry." And it wasn't just the sweater vest. When I drive down the coast next month, maybe I'll stop and leave a note.

Beautiful flowers photograph!
LH said…
OMG. The.Sweater.Vest.

Popular Posts