The Wheelhouse

Photo Credit:  Cynthia


Cynthia's texting of this photo brought on a classic case of “flooding memories” because this plant and I go way back. 


Remember #30 Something’s beautiful wedding to Mr. HL last summer?  I did little to help with this once in a lifetime (we hope) affair, but in my defense, #30 Something had everything pretty much squared away. The one thing the event lacked was centerpieces for the picnic tables. Decorative arts aren’t exactly in my wheelhouse, but I jumped at the chance to prove my worth as mother of the bride.


I headed to the nursery, along with Husbandman and #1 Son. I wanted to take my time, but two other people who shall remain nameless kept hurrying my decision making process. We finally decided to divide the task, each of us going our own way. As is his wont, #1 Son added some challenge to the enterprise, suggesting that we complete the task within four minutes time. Timer on, we hustled off to procure plants for the Wedding of the Summer.


Four minutes later, plants in tow, we headed to the craft store for some burlap and colorful twine, hoping to replicate an image from an internet search.


Come to find out, even simple centerpieces require skills I apparently do not possess. Hours of trial and error produced centerpieces sure to bring down shame on the family. In short, I was concerned.


Ms. Shea came to my rescue and produced a prototype. When paired with a pinwheel and a plastic animal or two, The Shea centerpieces would surely pass muster.


Nearly a year later, this photograph provides evidence that at least one centerpiece plant continues to grow and thrive. I have it on good authority that the marriage is doing great as well.


In terms of Mother of the Bride responsibilities, we did alright. 

Comments

Nancy said…
This memory made me smile! It was an epic wedding! It was full of love and joy! Best. Wedding. Ever!!!
Nancy
cb said…
The decorative arts have entered your wheelhouse!

This plant and the memories it inspires give us joy.

xo
Janet said…
Ahhhh - how great!
Joy Heffernan said…
Hillary has these growing in her back yard too. You kids did a fine job on Center pieces and I think we made assembling pin wheels a good time!

Popular Posts