The Activities




This yesterday Saturday, I headed in to the compound to get stuff ready for the upcoming week. I  like to go in on Saturdays because a.) I'm the only person there and b.) when I'm done I can enjoy my weekend without thinking about school stuff.  

I started getting a case of stress-sadness in my fifth or sixth hour in empty 3rdLand. Once I get going on school, it's hard to stop.  I never feel like I've finished all I want to do because I never have finished all I want to do. Then I start whining about being at work on the weekend and I plaintively ask myself that age old classic, "Heffernan, why the heck can't you figure out how to do this job so that it doesn't take up so much of your gosh darn life?  I've asked this age old question every day since 1984 when I got my first teaching job in Stockbridge, Georgia.  Let's face it, if I haven't figured it out by now, it's probably not going to happen. But here's the good news:  I plan to teach for 3 more years.  After that, if I'm still alive, weekends will be mine.  Oh yes, they will be mine. In short, there's light at the end of the tunnel.

I went home grouchy in the late afternoon, but Husbandman made me a cup of tea and I read my book on the couch.  Then we went to Comedy Attic and listened to Ashton Womack, a funny man. Today we furthered our seizing of the weekend by walking to the Bart Kaufman baseball stadium on campus. We watched the Hoosiers beat the Iowa Hawkeyes.  After the game, we drove to the movie theater to watch AIR, featuring my two boyfriends, Matt and Ben.  Last, we were home in time to order a pizza and watch another episode of Friday Night Lights.  

In this way I achieved life/work balance and enjoyed a top notch weekend. Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy. I guess I really can have it all. 



 

Comments

cb said…
This is an excellent post. Like your weekend, it contained a lot of interesting moments. Merci, Madame.

Joy Heffernan said…
There will be no dying after the next few years. We'll be incredibly cool old ladies together. We'll hang out on your deck and Peter will bring us both some tea. Yeah Peter!

Popular Posts