The Traditions


 Highlight of the week was seeing this fellow for dinner at a restaurant.  Now he's gone, but that's part of life, people.  You've got to deal with it. My advice: Focus on the good times and not the heart wrenching departures. 

This highlight is not what I want to write about today.  Today our topic is CARDS.  I now know how to play bridge.  It has taken several years for me to get to the point where I can identify the kinds of mistakes I'm making as I play.  Can not yet figure out how to prevent these mistakes, but that might come after 3 to 4 more years of practice.  Sitting at a card table with pals is pleasant and every new hand brings surprises. 

Since we're talking about cards, I want to extend kudos to my friend and colleague SJ for bringing decks of cards on Thursday's field trip to the History Museum.  When life got loud after lunch, we turned to the magic of card playing.  I joined 4 girls and suggested a game of Go Fish.  

Get this.

They had never played Go Fish. What in the world?  I played Go Fish and War countless times when I was a kid. Did I enjoy these games?  Not really, but I played anyway. Did they get boring?  Obviously, but that's beside the point. 

After my outrage, I taught them how to play.  The game was moving along when a 3rdLander asked, "Does anyone have a J?" 

J?????  

It's called a JACK, my friend!!! A JACK! 

WHAT IS HAPPENING HERE?

We are losing our card playing traditions and we need to remedy this problem PDQ.  Teach a kid to play Go Fish today.  Please.  #saveGOfish



Comments

cb said…
Love this post! Saving Go Fish is a righteous cause.

Popular Posts