The Game Show

Our town has six water storage tanks.  The two we've visited are multi-column elevated storage tanks.  They're an economical choice if you're in the market for a water tower.  A town called Macon installed one for 630,000 dollars a few years ago.

A company that provides paints for water towers sponsors a calendar competition each year where people vote on the best water towers.  So far, our town's water towers have not been featured in the calendar. I emailed the company last week and a woman named Robin sent me their 2017 calendar.  She no longer had any copies of the 2020 calendar, which, not going to lie, was a bit of a disappointment. Still, the photos are awesome and I'm grateful for Robin's kindness.  Check out this stunning pedesphere elevated storage tank in Michigan.  

Today we drove to Cataract Falls.  On the way we saw a multi-column elevated water tower near Ellettsville.  We pulled over to get some pictures.  There was no clear path to get close to the water tower, which seemed to be located in the back yard of a ranch home.  I donned my mask and knocked on the door to make some inquiries. I retreated six feet from the door as I waited. I could hear the television blaring loudly. After some time, an elder in a housecoat opened the door.  She seemed annoyed.  I inquired about walking in to her back yard to photograph the water tower.  She pulled a pistol from her pocket and said, "Get off my property" in a rude tone.  I was taken aback, but nevertheless, I persisted.  I tried to explain that it wouldn't take me long to get the photos I needed for my project.  She raised the gun higher in the air, but her arms were wobbling all akimbo and I doubted she could have hit me, even at that close range.  Husbandman, on the street, shouted my name. I sensed he wanted me to return to the car and the whole thing was getting to be too much of a hassle anyway, so I walked away from this crotchety old gal with a terse, "Good day, Madam." She slammed the door.  I think she was ticked because she missed out on the end of a game show she was enjoying. Or maybe the pandemic is just getting on her nerves. I wish her no ill will, but I don't understand this level of selfishness. If you have a water tower in your backyard, share your treasure with others.  That's what we plan to do.




Comments

mm said…
For some reason, I'm loving the water tower posts. Keep them coming.
Some people have no appreciation for artistic curiosity.
cb said…
Pulling a pistol from her pocket was a poor choice.
jdoc said…
You are one dedicated water tower aficionado.
KC said…
LOLOLOL
Julie said…
Why water towers? Why not water towers, I always say!

Popular Posts