The Award


This is the collage I made.


Our roof is leaking.  Our water heater is broken.  We have an ant problem.  But let's focus today on some good news.  

Our school system has revised the re-entry plan.  School is delayed one week and we're going on line.  I'm not going to lie.  I feel safer. I don't like going in rooms with lots of people.  And I also don't like keeping distance from the Thirdlanders when I'm teaching.  I'm more of a "Huddle Up People!" kind of teacher.  And huddling with 21 kiddos equals covid.  That's just plain facts. Maybe.

I feel like I got the hang of teaching on our learning platform in spring, but come to find out, now I can't remember how to set up the pages.  I've watched unhelpful videos and I've felt unhelpful frustration. Eventually, as with the roof and the water heater, there will be fixing and falling into place.

And back to the good news:  Nate Powell, the artist who helped create the March books with John Lewis, lives in Bloomington, Indiana.  I just discovered this fact today from our beloved local rag.  I need to find Nate and talk to him about what he's up to these days. I'm hoping he can share some memories of his time with John Lewis.  I'd also like to get a glimpse of his National Book Award.   If you have Nate's address or phone number, please pass them on to me as soon as possible.

Comments

mm said…
Soooo much here... 1) all that housing stuff sucks! 2) I hope our school makes an equally wise decision. 3). I can't wait until you find Nate. I'd like to meet him too if we have time.
Nancy said…
Did you go and see him and John Lewis speak about the March series books in town a couple years back?
N
LH said…
The sad answer is no.
cb said…
Good news about the online instruction decision. Safety first. As one of my favorite journalists (Yamiche Alcindor) commented, "We're in a damn pandemic."

Bloomington really has a lot of quality celebrity residents.

Popular Posts