The Eve


New Orleans is a good place to be.  #1 Son has played several gigs over the past two days and Husbandman, 20 Something and I have followed him around to Side Bar and Nola Cantina and Balcony Music Club.

The only snag in the trip so far is #1's disdain for holiday tunes, which he is forced to play for a few weeks each year. Between sets yesterday, he told us, "I'd rather everyone in the world have a bad Christmas than me have to play one more Christmas song."

 I've done nothing Christmas-y at all this year, so I was kind of excited to hear some Christmas songs.  I asked #1, "What about O Christmas Tree? Will you play that?"

"We will not," he answered, somewhat tersely.  

The good news is I got to hear a few holiday songs last night when #1 played with the Jazmarae band. I loved their jazzy Norwegian version of Silent Night.  They also played Last Christmas, a Wham classic. We received a true lagniappe when a trumpeter named Gene joined them on a rousing version of Santa Claus is Smoking the Weed.

 Today we will take a walk and see a movie.  20 Something and I will lead some caroling in the Marigny around midnight. I need to fit in a few more songs before this festive season moves on down the road. Requests encouraged.

Comments

Joy Heffernan said…
We will be singing a few Christmas Classics under the Palm Trees tonight as well. I love them but I can feel #1's pain!!! I think I would be happier with a Christmas-y Playlist if it didn't start in mid-September.
cb said…
How about We Need a Little Christmas? That is a good one.

Thank you for this post. Lagniappe is a great word and I plan to use it in the next day or two. Merry Christmas to you in NOLA. xo cb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V6ESh4B2qc
LH said…
Joy, We have been singing together today. Quinn's getting into it.

CB... WOW! We love that video. We just learned lagniappe this week, so let's keep it alive.

Love 2 U 2
mm said…
I'm glad singing will occur this evening.
Anonymous said…
Mom and I sang Christmas Carols together last night. So that was nice. I've been playing songs from Spotify the last two days but it still doesn't seem like Christmas.
jw

Popular Posts