The Time



I wish some magic would happen and I could teach a bunch of kids in Thirdland more about how time works.

We're having some troubles. I created a cool virtual field trip to the zoo that involved learning about animals and solving elapsed time problems like, "You're at the meerkat exhibit from 10:05 to 10:25.  How long did you spend there?  Also, how do meerkats communicate?"

I thought it would be a fun practice for them, but many kids need way more practice with time in order to do the activity.  One kid made a time line and counted up one minute at a time.  He did not get the correct answer despite his work.  Another kid wrote down, "1379."  I mean... what the heck?  I was kind of glum about this yesterday, but today I'm back in the game.  We can do this? I don't mean to be a kvetcher, but I just don't feel time's on my side right now.

Comments

LH said…
Some gains were made. The 3rdLander who answered 1379 yesterday worked on a time problem for awhile
yesterday and then asked me, "Is there such a time as 3:60?"

We're getting there.
KC said…
This is not making me feel confident about my ability to teach about time.

Popular Posts