The Game

Western Tent Caterpillar     Photo Credit:  C. Butler

Fact: 3rd grade boys spend more time arguing than playing at recess. This isn't special to this year's group. It's a true fact about all groups of 3rd grade boys. It's a conundrum that will somehow be solved by the passing of time. I give it my best shot every year, on a daily basis, but there's rarely much improvement. Fortunately, the fourth grade boys just don't have the same kind of tension around their recess activity.  

Three third grade classes were out for recess on Thursday and the fighting began on the baseball field almost immediately.  I entered the fray and declared myself ump.  I know a good deal about baseball, which may surprise you. I was doing a bang up job with the umping and the game was moving along. A 3rdlander stood next to me and watched.  She kept asking me why I was making certain calls.  It was distracting, but I tried to talk to her and ump the game at the same time.  

"STRIKE!"  I yelled several times.  Every time, my sidekick would yell at me, "But he didn't even hit it!  He didn't even hit it."  When I would yell, "Four balls!  That's a walk!  Take your base!" she would holler, "He's running!  He's running! He's not walking!"

I finally stopped trying to explain the nuances of baseball and encouraged her to watch some games with her mom and dad. She needs to get up to speed with America's pastime.  The year's end is drawing nigh and there's only so much I'm going to be able to get done with these Thirdlanders.  Parents, the ball's in your stadium. 

Comments

LevineLiteracy said…
Love this. The essential background knowledge. Mark
Anonymous said…
The photo freaks me out, btw, ms. c. butler. I'm sure that young lady learned a lot about baseball from you. And I'm sure the kids were in awe that you just pulled the "ump"ness out of your backpocket and helped their game along. Surprised but yet pleased.
jw
mm said…
Sometimes I wish seventh graders had recess, and then sometimes...
KC said…
I'm laughing out loud. Great story. Great life lessons.

Popular Posts