The Lack of Trust

The Thirdlanders came back to school cheerful and ready to take 2017 by storm.  Some highlights from the week involved comparing two news articles about Fidel Castro, researching Marian Anderson, and acting out some key scenes from First Day in Grapes, a book about farm worker families.  We also used the Indy Zoo web page to plan an imaginary field trip, an activity that allows us to create and solve our own elapsed time math problems.

The Thirdlanders are an amazing crew of kiddos.  If they have one drawback, it's probably a general inability to believe what I'm telling them.  Let me illustrate this point by sharing the following conversation as evidence:

Thirdlander:  Can I go to the library?
Me:  Did you sign up for library today?
Thirdlander:  Yes.
Me:  Are you next on the list?
Thirdlander:  Yes.
Me:  Well, you know you don't have to ask.  You just go to the library when your turn comes.
Thirdlander:  So I can go?
Me:  Yes.
Thirdlander:  I can go to the library?
Me:  Yes.
Thirdlander:  I can go right now?
Me:  Yes.

This type of conversation takes place about 50,000 times a day and it can get a little annoying, I'm not going to lie. I wonder why the Thirdlanders don't trust me.  I need to work on earning their trust before this school year ends. I'm going to do my best, and forget the rest.

Comments

mm said…
John Lewis 3>

Anonymous said…
I love the protocol you've set up though.
jw

Popular Posts