The Job

I'm in awe of kindergarten teachers.    When I walked into Kland today, they were all making #'s, using shaving cream on their tables.  After helping k's make #'s with their little pointy fingers, it was time to clean up.  I was helping with hand washing when our asst. prin brought in a little recalcitrant who had been in the office for jumping off the stage during music class.  When she saw one k still shaving, she said she wanted shaving cream too, but she was told that she was too late for the activity.  (Due to her recalcitrance.)  The kid zipped over to the remaining little shaver, and started smooshing her hands all over the remaining cream.  I corralled her over to the sink for hand washing.   After  I shut off the water, she kept running around me to turn the water back on.  I reminded her that I was a teacher and that I was basically in charge.  
The K had to sit away from the group during free choice time because she used up her free choice time about a zillion times that day.  I sat with her and offered to read to her.  She was getting into the book and I was super relieved, when another K walked over and said solemnly, "I'm sorry to tell you this, but I saw our teacher writing a note to your mother over there and she wrote a sad face on the paper."  Recalcitrant ran over to confront her teacher, but after some futile arguing she returned to the book.  The book invited the reader to pretend to be different animals.  She was cool with the mouse bit, quietly hopping next to me.  Snake simulation involved some serious slithering.  By the time we got to goat, the k was running around the room screaming at top volume.  The teacher looked over at me, but I just kept reading, hoping the kid would return at some point. 
Finally free choice was over and the saintly k teacher brought the kiddos together for a circle of compliments.  That's when I slipped out, grateful to still be alive.
Good thing I was there to help with another literacy adventure at the school site. 

Comments

Popular Posts