The Blood


We took part of the ISTEP test this week. The first day we took the math. The open-ended problems were crazily hard and I went home totally demoralized. I couldn't sleep worrying about where I went wrong this year and why I hadn't done a better job helping the peeps get ready. Around 2 in the morning, I realized that something had to be very wrong with the test. The thing was just crazy hard, as I've already told you, and I knew there was no way that 3rd graders could be expected to complete it. Come to find out, the news stories started trickling in the next day. Complaints from teachers all over the state about ISTEP meltdowns. It's been on tv news, the Indy Star, the Chicago Trib. I thought they might throw the test out, since it was clear that mistakes have been made, but no, the dept. of ED just says not to worry, they'll make the cut scores lower. Arbitrary nonsense.
During the final test, one of the peeps stabbed another peep with her pencil, causing the lead to break off in his arm. When we pulled the lead out, there was a gaping hole, with blood gurgling up. Pencil wielding peep said the kid was bothering her by humming the song from some movie about a chihuahua. I blame ISTEP for this incident, and for the resulting suspension.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Good grief! Enough already! What is wrong with the "in-charge" people? This is a continuing problem. Kids suffer, teachers suffer, schools suffer... Only the higher-ups are happy. They just don't get it.
Re the stabbing: The fact that blood came gurgling out is good. Cleansed it.
And I hear the dog movie is a riot.
Anonymous said…
Question: Will you be testing all of this week? I know you'll be on Spring Break when St. Patrick's Day rolls around, but i wondered if your peeps wanted to celebrate it this week.
Let me know.
D/
Anonymous said…
Wish you could have come to hear Maya. She would have lifted your spirits.
D/
KC said…
this is so ridiculous. i'm so pissed about that istep and all standardized tests.
Anonymous said…
Here's the latest: Rumor has it that "they" are trying out some new versions of the test. Didn't want teachers to know. Of course, that also means results will be useless.
Anonymous said…
Yeah. Why would it be important for teachers to know anything??!! Geez.
jw
LH said…
We knew there were different versions of the test. Half my class wrote about "Ida's School" and the other half wrote about "Little Lost Lion." (false names so I don't lose my job) And the math portions all had different problems. But I assumed that the items had already gone through a trial run in a few classrooms. I guess not. That would have made too much sense.

Do you like this foto of #1 son in the snow with his bass?
KC said…
omg. i am so pissed on your behalf.

i do love this photo of #1. the kid looks like fun. i didn't know he played the bass, but i guess i'm not surprised. perhaps he could give me a lesson on guitar hero? that's as musical as i get.
Julie Anna said…
Is Obama going to do anything about this testing madness?
LH said…
A friend asked me last night what I thought about Barack's "merit pay" proposal. I answered, What I think is... I'm not going to get any!"

I still have hope, tho.
Twinkie said…
Poor little guys, as if test anxiety isn't already high, in a school where they are doing badly (overall). Grr to the incompetence!

I like the photo.

Popular Posts