The Impatience


I'm not the gentlest editor. I edited drafts all weekend and I wasn't too cheery in some of my comments. I got especially impatient with 2 sixers who are writing a play about a slave ship rebellion. They've read about Amistad and other rebellions so they have some background info. But they're obviously missing the big picture. In their play, a kidnapped African character has smuggled a rock onto a slave ship. His friend wants the rock to break free of his chains. The rock hiding character agrees to hand it over with these words, "Well, okay, but don't mess it up. It's part of my rock collection." I write in the margins, "COME ON! Would he really care at this point about his frickin rock collection?" I crossed out frickin after I thought about it for awhile. I'm getting a little burnt out. 2o more days.
Picture of Minijean foto credit: #1 son.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Ros was simply divine in the Diviners on Saturday! I think you should have left frickin in your comment--Come on sixers!!!!! It's getting closer--hang in there!
N
Anonymous said…
Sisterwoman,

Hang in darling. You can do anything for 20 days.

Still giggling over the "rock collection" line.

Since there is just the one rock wouldn't it be more accurate if the collector said "Be careful, it's my entire rock collection"?

Glad to hear a review of the lovely Ros as Norma. Way to go #1 Neice!!

Love you,

joy
KC said…
i wrote some comments on some soph short stories that were kind of similar. "no one would be convinced by this," i think was one of my best.
Anonymous said…
What a great picture of MiniJean!!! She looks so sweet. Thanks, Quinn.
I'm sorry but the rock collection story is just hysterical.
jw
Undomestic said…
Wait...I thought we're supposed to be letting the kids write whatever they want...wouldn't want to stifle their creativity and scar them for life! ;)
LH said…
I talked to the sixers in question yesterday.
They said they knew it was stupid, but they were trying to pad pages.

In other good news, I saw 2 grosbeaks at the feeder yesterday. And an indigo bunting came around. 2 rare sightings for this backyard.
LH said…
update: rufous sided towhee
showed up this morning.
we usually don't see him in the backyard. audubon guide says he's "secretive."
it's going to be a good day.
Julie Anna said…
The indigo bunting is one of my all time favorite birds. I see one very rarely. I have all cardinals at my feeder, all the time. The cardinals are just plain bonkers this time of year. I don't think they are giving anything else much of a chance.
LH said…
i got one of those finch socks this week. goldfinches galore.
but now i'm worrying that they might catch their little feet in the mesh.
i'm always looking for something to worry about, and it's not hard to find at all.

Popular Posts