The Born


 Bob Born recently died.  He was 98 and had a good long life.  He came from a family of confectioners.  He thought about becoming a doctor (I think I read that), but then he joined the family candy business.  Just Born is the company that gives us Hot Tamales, Mike and Ike, and most importantly.... PEEPS.  

In the early 50's, Just Born bought the Rodda Candy Co.  Rodda made jelly beans and some marshmallow treats. Their marshmallow chicks had wings and took 27 hours to produce.  Bob Born had the wherewithal to invent the machinery and the protocols for mass producing wingless PEEPS. He took his time and kept testing his machinery until it was just right and after six months of trial and error, the PEEPS were rolling off the line like nobody's business, in 6 minute intervals.  

I had my first PEEP of the season last weekend.  Classic yellow chick. On that very afternoon, I learned of Bob's passing.  Kind of weird.

Thank you, Bob Born, for all the sweet joy and laughter you've brought into our lives. PEEPS for ALL.The 'Father of Peeps' marshmallow candy dies at 98


Comments

Joy Heffernan said…
I've never been a fan of Peeps though I support your love of them.

Hats off to Bob for the Hot Tamales. A lifelong favorite of mine!

Popular Posts