The Ranting

I'm raging and ranting today.

Here's the gist of the matter: Like most districts across this great land, we have an online platform called CANVAS where kids can submit work.  Every day this week, I've created assignments on CANVAS that kids can do independently, but are connected to our curriculum.  Time consuming stuff.

For some reason, few kids are submitting any work on CANVAS.  Today ZERO kids have submitted work, even though I've written to administrators and colleagues asking them to make sure the sub understands my lesson plans.  They've happily agreed to do so.  Still, no CANVAS work whenever I check every 20 minutes. 

So I'm not sure what exactly is happening in 3rdLand, but I do know my sub plans are not part of these happenings.  

I take sub plans super seriously.  I used to sub as you may remember.  Long time ago.  I spend a lot of time making lesson plans that are clear, maintain classroom routine, and engage 3rdLanders in meaningful activities.  Sub plans take a long time to complete.  I'm proud of how subs over the years have written to thank me for thorough lesson plans. But this year, the sub situation has gotten dire.

In December, when I visited my dad, a sub came to 3rdLand with her own bag of Xmas activities for the kids to do, ignoring my sub plans. She also brought her rock collection so that she could sit with small groups of kids to teach them about rocks. What the heck? Before that, I had a sub who brought a bag of toys and games to reward the kids.  He completed about a third of the sub plans.  Not great, but the worst part was the way the kids were at each other's throats when I returned, complaining about unfair treat distribution. There's no reason for treat rewards in 3rdLand.  We're not dogs. This week, we've had 3 different subs.  One has been described as a "doozy."  Not good, People. 

So that's what I'm ranting about this morning.   I'm also peeved because I'm taking the 2 hour suicide prevention webinar required by the district.  This webinar does not need to be 2 hours long.  

 

Comments

cb said…
A righteous rant. Your excellent sub plans should not be ignored. What nonsense.
LH said…
Thanks, Cynthia. I hate to be a hater, but I feel like the subs they're hiring actually have some literacy concerns.

On a good note: My colleague reports that my fourth sub of the week is doing a bang up job today. Happiness!

And my other good news: I'm feeling so much better today it's not even funny!
cb said…
Yay for the fourth sub! And a huge yay for feeling better. These good notes sing.

Popular Posts