The Combustion


I went for a walk with Judith this morning. and after 6,000 steps or thereabout, we said good bye when we were directly across the street from my house.  Judith kept walking south and I crossed the street toward my driveway.  I stopped in the middle of my driveway to stare at our owl box.  Just last night we heard an owl hooting outside. Coincidentally, Judith also heard an owl hooting last night. I was standing and making a wish that I could see an owl, when I suddenly noticed that my right hand was on fire.  It had literally burst into flame.  I screamed for Husbandman, but he didn't come out of the house.  I ran to the bird bath.  Luckily it had rained this morning and there was an inch or so of water in it.   I pushed my fiery hand into the shallow water and the fire extinguished immediately.  What's weird is, the horrible pain stopped right away as well. I walked in the house to tell Husbandman.  He didn't believe me at first, but though my hand appeared to be okay, it had a hideous smoky smell to it that quickly permeated our kitchen.  The stench is only now dissipating, hours later. 

 I thought it odd that the fire didn't spread to the rest of my body. Just my right hand.  I've been googling for information and it seems I might be dealing with a case of specified spontaneous combustion.  Either that, or I might have a mild form of Stevens-Johnson Syndrome. I have an appointment with my doctor this Thursday for a routine med-check, so I'll probably talk it over with her.  The good news is I'm fine now.  

Comments

Mary M. said…
What?! I need a follow up.
KC said…
This story really works for me.

Popular Posts