The Parentnoia

Advanced Parentnoia is a condition you get when your kids grow up and move away and they're doing absolutely great and yet you have anxiety about how much you should text them and/or whether or not your texts are interesting or annoying to them.

I suffer from Advanced Parentnoia, even though my kids tell me I can text as much as I want and that they enjoy my texts.  I've identified a 3rd component of Advanced Parentnoia and that is wondering if your kids are telling you the truth or just being kind because they feel sorry for you.

I've got to start dealing with my Advanced Parentnoia because it's getting in the way of my enjoyment of my day. Step one is always identify the problem and clearly I've done that.  Step two is called text flooding, when you just flood your kids with texts each day and focus on feeling good about each and every text, erasing any doubts or discomfort.  That's the phase I'm beginning today.  You're on your way down, Advanced Parentnoia.

Comments

KC said…
This is an interesting syndrome, and as usual, I'm grateful that you're blazing a parenting trail for me. By the time I hit this phase, you'll have the answers.

Also, I sometimes just have the textanoia. I try to just feel good about each text. I try not to overwhelm, but then I think about myself -- I almost ALWAYS love to receive texts.
jdoc said…
I like that step two is a real action step and not a non-action step. That just leads to more worrying in my experience. Good job handling this phase of parenting.

mm said…
I can't imagine that both don't absolutely love your texts!

Popular Posts