The Tinies

Photo Credit:  W VdS
 Because it's Voting Day, I have the day off.  After the important accomplishment of participating in our democracy by voting, I got back to work on the following goals:

  • Back and Forth editor suggestions for stories written by the Thirdlanders
  • Revise an article I'm cowriting with Mitzker and Zawan 
  • Publish an enticing and creative blog entry

As I previously explained in an earlier blog post, I'm not feeling super energized right now.  Luckily, and perhaps miraculously, today's newspaper included a great piece about combatting low motivation.

Basically, there are three steps. First take some time off for yourself.  I did this last night by going to bed early and watching three hours of Teen Mom 2.  Next, divide tasks into tiny increments and chip away little by little.  I'm doing this by setting my timer for 5 minutes at a time and rotating through my three goals. I've completed editing 1.5 stories, revised 4 pages of the article and might just finish this blog entry.  The final bit of advice was, "Connect with others."  I ignored this piece of advice.  I wouldn't have gotten anything at all done if I had connected with others.  Sure I sent off the occasional text or two, but mostly I just whittled away at my tasks.

The problem with my motivation is that everything takes a long time to do, but in the end, you just do what you can.  Do your best and forget the rest.

PS:  Here's a picture of Back and Forth because it looks so great with those sunflowers.  And also because I referred to the editor mindset in goal #1 above.




Comments

mm said…
Yay for publishing an enticing blog entry.

Popular Posts