The Workview



I'm working slowly through Designing Your Life (DYL).  Today my task is to write about my workview by answering a set of  questions.  I've decided to make a blog entry of it.  Win win...I get a blog entry and I also finish the DYL homework.  I'm not sure it's a win for you, good friend and reader, but just take one for the team today and add a kind comment after you're done reading.

Authors:  Why work?
Me:  Work because it's a good way to be part of something, to make something new and to have a structure to your life that you can rely on.
Authors:  What's work for?
Me:  It's for a paycheck and it's for expression and it's for connection.
Authors:  What does work mean?
Me:  It means purpose and it means creativity.  It means satisfaction and exploration.
Authors:  How does it relate to the individual, others, society?
Me:  I don't know.  Let's come back to that one later.
Authors:  What defines good or worthwhile work?
Me:  Anything you enjoy doing.
Authors:  What does money have to do with it?
Me:  Money's the icing on the cake. Yay for the money.
Authors:  What do experience, growth and fulfillment have to do with it?
Me:  For me, I like the work I do because the experiences are so varied.  There are repetitive parts to it, but mostly it's creative and challenging.  If I'm not learning how to do something new, I get frustrated.  For me, it's fulfilling, and I do have a high level of autonomy in my various gigs, which makes me happy, for the most part.

So, there's my workview, Reader.  I wonder if it would be this upbeat if I were writing it in May, but let's not worry about that.  Let's just stay positive and recognize that this is a really awesome blog entry in the comments section.

Comments

mm said…
It was a win for me. These are interesting questions, and I like/agree with your answers.
Unknown said…
Deep. Reflective. Creativity. It's a good package. For sure.
jw
KC said…
I have a similar workview when it comes to our shared vocation.

Popular Posts