The Pond

Goose Pond Fish and Wildlife Area is in our state, just about an hour away.  We drove down there today to make the best out of the bad situation that is global warming.  We saw two whooping cranes.  You might be saying.  Big whoop, whooping cranes, blah blah blah, but let me tell you something my friends.  The whooping crane was once pushed to "the brink of extinction."  In actual fact, the whooping crane is still endangered. Right now there are only about 600 whooping cranes on the planet and, yes, we saw 2 of them this afternoon.  When I showed the woman at the visitor center my photograph, she said, "Yes, those are whoopers.  Congratulations."  Her tone was calm and understated, but I could tell she was excited inside.

We also saw 2 swans and some snow geese and some fabulous sand hill cranes. A friend saw some pelicans at Goose Pond last weekend, but we had no luck in the pelican department. You can't have everything and the sooner some people realize that, the better.  A fine day at Goose Pond.  Let's all remember to support the whooping crane.

Comments

mm said…
I'm going to support the whooping crane!

Popular Posts