The Shark


For the past six months or so I'm embarrassed to admit that I've been going to bed ridiculously early. I don't sleep. I watch television, drink a glass of wine, listen to my radio. I'm tired but not tired enough to conk out so I vegetate most ignominiously. I don't even read. Okay, sometimes I try to do a sudoku. This week my slothism had hit rock bottom. Coming to my senses, I decided that, like the shark, I would continue to move until 10 pm and only then would I be able to enter the inner sanctum. If I don't sit down, I can achieve my goal. I wash the dishes, clean off all flat surfaces in the home, cast on knitting needles for sixers, go to Target, fold clothes, walk over to the corporate book store, come home and re-wash counters, you get the picture. I keep moving in a relentless drive to avoid horizonticalism. The kitchen's looking clean and my self respect is on the rise. My next step is to add meaning to my evening activities, but that's a long way off.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I've been sleeping in myself. Almost nine hours of sleep every night. Feeling like a slacker, but I just can't get up once I'm horizontal. You do make a great role model, though.
Anonymous said…
Don't forget that lack of rest can cause mental illness. Awfully important when you work with sixers all day long.

My Friday Night Plans.
A friend is showing her photos at a groovy gallery. How much fun. I will go to the show, then a gang is going out to a nice meal. What a perfect opportunity to find a date.

I leave school at 5:15. I take the dog out for a walk. I sit down to listen to the news for a few minutes. I cannot get up. I am glued to the chair. Think about taking a shower. I remember my wonderful plans. I still cannot get up. I make myself eat a snack for energy. I am still not able to force myself to get in the shower.
I give in, drink a beer, and go to sleep by nine. I wake up 11 hours later.

Teaching is like one of those Harry Potter monsters. It sucks the life and soul right out of you. I have little left when I get home.

I think I should take up selfishness this year.

Jeff
KC said…
I slip into a coma at 8pm. I can't do anything. Can't really even watch tv after that time. I only have 23 minutes until it happens again tonight.

I think it's a teaching thing.
hr said…
I love the Browne link! Did you catch the opener of the Amazing Race? I hope you weren't still cleaning surfaces and missed it.
LH said…
Hey friendies,
Going to James Brown was a big accomplishment for me I think. tonight's plan...take the diss on a date before project runway. Let's see if lee can work on improving her slothlike lifestyle.

amazing race got off to a good start. I think i like the dad with the gay daughter. but the single moms are pretty great too. And then there's the gal with the prosthesis.

The sixers loved Voices in the Park this week.
Anonymous said…
All of you are my role models!! If I sleep past 2 a.m. I feel as if I have accomplished something grand.

It is amazing how much one can get done between 2 a.m. and daybreak. Laundry, dishes, heck I even cook. Oh it's not good to vaccum though, some surly people just hate all that noise!

Don't hesitate, vegitate!!

jah
LH said…
hey sisterdear, I'm doing my share of vegging tonight. R's off to a shakespeare play. q's at a teen night at the science museum. pedro's playing pool with a pal.

i think since it's friday, i'll head to bed early and let myself off the hook with the night time routines. love 2 u, joie.

Popular Posts