The Mask

We were on lock down at the compound yesterday and police were everywhere. Little kids at recess thought they may have seen a gunman in the woods near our playground. We spent the day locked up, quelling rumors right and left. I was happy to be teaching the sixers and cincos because when we went in for book buddies with the Littles, I kept hearing comments like, "I'm not sure but I'm pretty sure a guy shot out the back windows of the school" and "A guy had a gun and he was shooting at us."
Turns out a neighbor told us today he was walking his dog in the woods around that time and he heard some Littles commenting about seeing a man. He knew they meant him, but didn't realize they would later decide he had a gun and a ski mask. We even made the front page of the paper this morning. Posted by Picasa

Comments

Julie Anna said…
I heard about all of this on the news. Not that I'm not happy that the police and everyone took it seriously and kept the kids in, but something in me wondered if kids really saw a gun or ski mask. I've owned a sixer. They aren't always good at distinguishing what happened from what they thought might have, could have possibly happened. Excitement and danger lie around every corner. I was thinking at the time...could've been someone with dark hair and a newspaper.
Undomestic said…
Scary..and funny. Pretty much sums up those adolescent folk.
LH said…
we had a woman sitting at a little table outside the office all week monitoring visitors. It was pretty funny. I kept telling her how safe she made me feel.

we also had a fire drill from the cafeteria yesterday afternoon. when i got out there i said, "what's going on? where's the other half of our class?" i forgot that the cincos had to go out another door and i just ventured out with the sixers. so many details to remember.
i'm not up to the task.
los cincos felt quite deserted they told me later. lo siento, peeps.

Popular Posts