The Non-Metropolitan Diary

Hoagy Carmichael lived here when he was a kid.  He wrote 100s of songs and 50 of them were big hits.    4 of Hoagy's songs are among the most recorded songs in history.  And yes, he was born right here in our town and is buried over in Rose Hill Cemetery. I walked by his house while taking my 5th history walk of the summer. 

On a meandering walk south of campus I came across this eye-catching mural which I believe is new.  I've never seen it before and I've walked next to my dentist's office a bunch of times.  I'm sure I would have noticed it. Bloomington is really upping their mural game.  Keep it up, B-town.  Way to support #publicART!

Wednesday Surprise:  Music at The Elm with John Raymond and Jeremy Allen 


As you can see from these photos, I've been traipsing around town doing my best and forgetting the rest. 

Mitzker and I were happy as all get out to see John Raymond and Jeremy Allen playing music at The Elm when we popped in for dinner on Wednesday evening.

I know of these two jazz cats because a). Jeremy Allen was #1 Son's spectacular bass professor at Jacobs School and b.) John Raymond, also a Jacobs School professor, played his tremendous trumpet with #1 Son at a Jazz Kitchen show last year. I also have a sweet connection to a younger member of the Raymond fam. 

On our way out after a delightful dinner, I stopped to take a photo of the players.  A couple nearby gestured me over to their table. "Ma'am, ma'am," the man whispered as I was walking by.  I leaned  toward them and he said, "The bass player is our son." 

I felt a chill, a zip and a zing.  Their pride was palpable and so was mine when I gushed back, "Well, YOUR son was MY son's teacher. We are very fond of YOUR son. He was so good to our son Quinn who is now... a bass player...in Asheville North Carolina!"  I ended my gushing with a flourish.  The mom clapped her hands.  The dad said, "That's great, that's great."  

Mitz and I said adieu and then I floated off to my car, happy about my membership in  the PPBB-- short for Proud Parents of Bloomington Bassists.  This serendipitous meetup made me think of the Metropolitan Diary pieces that NYT readers send in about their walks around town.  Then I remembered this blog and decided that writing about it here could work just fine.

FYI:  Jeremy Allen and John Raymond will be playing at the ELM on Wednesdays through July. You should see them if you feel like it.

Comments

Mitzi Lewison said…
Glad you wrote about the jazz surprise. And Hoagy fits in, too. This is a wonderfully musical town. Have a marvelous trip!
cb said…
"a chill, a zip and a zing" I love your PPBB story. And the whole Non-Metropolitan Diary.
Janet said…
Love this!! What a great moment! Murals are great too!
KC said…
Love those parents. Big fan.

Popular Posts