The Summer Sorrows

Praying Mantis on the Playground

Nature Art created by 3rdLander

Nature Art created by another 3rdLander

 These are our last days of summer.  3 more weeks of hell.  Hate to pule like a cry baby complainer, but summer is not my favorite season.  6 reasons why summer is bad:

1. ever present sensation that my skin is burning off my bones whenever I risk a trip outside.

 2. disgusting slathering of sticky, smelly sunscreen on my exposed skin that sometimes gets in my eyes causing intense stinging when mixed with sweat.

3. unflattering summer attire, such as shorts and tee shirts. Not a good look for anyone, especially me.

4. irritating sound of bugs buzzing next to my ears as I take the occasional rare walk through shaded forests. 

5.  desperate panicky anxiety about being trapped inside air conditioned spaces (due to bugs, burning bones, sunscreen, etc.). 

6.  overwhelming fear and sadness about my contribution to climate change with excessive use of air conditioning.

Not a comprehensive list.  I haven't included comments about the various summer dangers we all face, such as fires and skin cancer, but I will point out one critical issue with ye olde barbecue grille. We aren't grillers, so we don't have to worry about swallowing wire grill brush bristles, but lots of people are, and do.  Stray wire bristles lodge in the digestive tract and make life uncomfortable for thousands every year.  Stop grilling immediately if you don't want to spend your last days of summer in the ER.  Look for alternatives to the wire bristle grill brushes.  Maybe try grill floss.

To be fair and balanced, I'll now focus on the few things I like about summer:  

A.  I love the summer blockbusters on the big screen. I saw Equalizer 3 last weekend.  Best movie ever. I might see it again before it leaves the theaters and you should too it if you feel like it.  Mission Impossible was also fun.

B. I love to swim.  I'm also quite good at it.  I swam competitively in high school and set records in the state of California on consecutive years. Look it up if you don't believe me. Unfortunately, I only swam a few times this summer because of the heat and the sunscreen issues mentioned above.  

To wrap this up, here's a summer haiku:

Oh summer sorceress!

 My garden cries for water

Why do you burn us alive? 

And ending on a good note:  The temperature dropped yesterday.  Husbandman and I traveled to the zoo.  I wore leggings.  We brought a picnic lunch and ate on a bench near the Kangaroo Crossing.  My mood was calm and cheerful.

Also, just FYI:  There's an International Chimpanzee Complex coming our way in 2024.  Stay tuned

Also, just FYI:  #1 Son's new album has been getting some great attention.  His release of Walking On Eggshells is by far the best thing that happened this summer. 



Comments

cb said…
I did not know about the wire bristle grill brushes danger. Not worth the trouble.

Also, Walking on Eggshells is terrific!

Popular Posts