The Astronauts


 From a Lynda Barry book, I've used the idea to have the Thirdlanders draw self portraits on occasion.  Draw yourself as Batman, a monster, an astronaut.

This week we drew ourselves as astronauts. The Thirdlanders were to write a few sentences about their most recent trip into space to go with their self portraits. 

Many asked me if their writing could be fake.  

I repeatedly responded to that question and even made general announcements to the class.  Even after the general announcement, a third lander raised her hand to say, "Can this be fake because I've never been in space before?"

"Yes, your writing about your space travels can be fictional," I told her.  The Thirdlanders have typical listening issues, but aside from that, they seem to have a tenuous grasp on reality that simultaneously concerns and cheers me . 

Comments

mm said…
I still fight the fake vs. fiction in middle school.
KC said…
LOL. My writing about space, however, will not be fictional.
cb said…
This made me smile. You are so patient.

Popular Posts