The Fun Factors


Room 200 has a ghost town feel to it.  All our tables have been taken away so now I stare out onto a sea of little empty desks, from a computer in the front. All day, I stare at a screen, but much of the day, I'm staring at the faces of Thirdlanders, hearing their stories, helping them with their assignments, teaching them about John Lewis and Audrey Faye Hendricks and the Young Hoosier Picture Book Awards and haiku and point of view and some math too. I feel I've actually come to know these people in this weird way. I imagine where they should sit when they get back to the classroom.  I know already the kid who will need to be in the back so he can pace around.  I know the gal who will need to be directly in front of me so I can remind her about what needs doing and give her extra encouragement. I know that one Thirdlander will need moments of extra quiet and the newest Thirdlander will need some extra friendly faces nearby.

I look forward to seeing them in person soon, but I'm nervous. In one week, we'll be back in the classroom. 19 Thirdlanders and me.  It's hard to figure out how six feet of social distance can occur when we're in the room.  I suppose I can just stay up in the front and not walk about.  The Thirdlanders will have to stay put in their little desks, so why should I be free to move?   I was asked if I'd like a plexiglass sheet to be hung in front of my computer area in the front of the room. I decided to pass on that, but maybe that was a mistake?  We're going to wear our masks.  We're going to use our tablets for some assignments. We're going to use alphabetical order for our line up spots.  We're going to go outside and not play soccer or football or four square. 

It might be safe, but will it be fun? With so many physical restrictions, I don't really get why people are so pumped up for this kind of school experience, but many are cheering the reopening.  I'll keep an open mind as I always do and find the ups along the way. What else can I do? My first goal is to keep us all out of the hospital. Everything else will fall in to place as we take one day at a time, do our best, and forget the rest.

 

Comments

kc said…
One of my pals is calling the front of the room teaching, "Hazmat and Deliver." That makes me laugh.
mm said…
You'll be awesome. I'm starting to get nervous about this online thing, but I know everything will be the best I can do.
cb said…
That is a lot to consider. If anyone can make this work, it will be you. A fun factors classroom.

P.S. The apple photo is magnificent.

Popular Posts