The Racism




A few weeks ago, I ordered a book from my local book store.  The book is called How to Be an Anti-Racist.  3 friends also ordered the book.  We want to read it together.  We've waited for weeks, and now the book store person says it's impossible to get the book right now.  I'm happy that so many people want to read this book, but still annoyed with the slowness.  I guess racism isn't going anywhere any time soon and there are other things I can read while I'm waiting.

NYT published a wonderful photo essay yesterday about all the protests around the country. Our town's protest wasn't featured, but at the end of the essay, every city that had a protest was listed with links to corresponding articles. My town was listed there and Indiana towns and cities were well represented.  I was happy that Martinsville had a protest because that town has a hideous history.  I clicked on the link to this article and was sad that some counter protesters attended the Martinsville protest.  They walked around with rifles and told reporters that they were there to protect statuary.  

My sister texted me last night that she was stuck in traffic in Atlanta.  She shared a photo of smoke billowing in the distance.  That smoke came from a Wendy's, where Rayshard Brooks was shot and killed by a police officer.  You would think cops would think twice about killing Black people but that's not how it works I guess. I don't know why it's taking me so long to figure that out.  Rayshard had 4 kids and another on the way.  Two days ago, he had brought his oldest daughter out to get her nails done because her 8th birthday was this weekend.  He didn't get to celebrate with her. He didn't deserve to get shot in the back while he was resisting a DUI arrest.  

 

Comments

jdoc said…
I listened to Ibram X. Kendi on Brene Brown's podcast today. I'm looking forward to reading his books, too, when I can get them.
mm said…
It's too bad I read everything on Kindle. I could share the book if it wasn't an electronic copy.
KC said…
I listened to him on Brene Brown's podcast, too!

Popular Posts