The Fifty

I feel a special allegiance with the Kronos Quartet because my friend Janet is their manager and has been lo these many decades.

When I was a young teacher, I worked near the KQ office.  I would work after school for a few hours and then walk down to Janet's office and we would head out into the city to have some fun.  Or, sometimes I'd help stuff envelopes or do some other little task while hanging out waiting for Janet to be done with her job. One time my sister and I worked at the merch booth at a KQ gig. Long time ago.

KQ has grown from those days and as you know they're a global phenomenon.  A gift to the world, I believe.

This past week I've been listening to their work on their Fifty for the Future page.  In the 50 for the Future project, Kronos commissioned 50 works from 50 composers, from all over the world.  The pieces are all available on line and the scores are there as well, so musicians can play the music if they feel like it.  It's a beautiful project.

KQ also has a project for thirdlanders they've just piloted, where KQ comes to play, and then a teaching artist comes into classrooms for several weeks, exploring the creative and cultural meanings of works from the 50 repertoire.  It's a beautiful program and I've enjoyed learning more about it.  Here are some of my favorite pieces that might be a comforting distraction to you if you're feeling tired right now:

At the Purchaser's Option.  Rhiannon Giddens
Knock.  Joan Jeanrenaud.
Journey of the Horizontal People.  Raven Chacon
Pencil Sketch. Yevgeniy Sharlat

There are many more pieces available at the 50 for the Future webpage, along with some great interviews with the artists.  50 for the Future has turned in to my pandemic passion.

Comments

50 for the Future! Yeah!
jdoc said…
That Rhiannon Giddens song. Listening over and over.
LH said…
This Garth Knox piece is awesome as well:

https://soundcloud.com/kronosquartet/iii-dimensions
KC said…
This is good. I didn't know about this.
Anonymous said…
Thank you Lee! I love that you love this project so much. This is our legacy - the thing we leave behind. So thank you for the wonderful supportive words! 17,000 scores downloaded in 95 countries and territories so far! :)


Popular Posts